One word to describe Hunter’s first week of school… WOW! The first day of school was traumatic. I walked Hunter in and he seemed fine until it was time for me to leave him. Then all of a sudden he freaked out. Lots of tears and he had me around the waist and refused to let go. He was getting loud so I pulled him into the hall. After a few minutes of not making any progress, the school counselor came over to assist. She said she would handle it and she grabbed Hunter around the waist. Then it took two other teachers to pull Hunters arms off of my waist and shirt. He was screaming “mommy” and had his arms out towards me. I had to turn my head because I couldn’t hold back my tears anymore. I just had to walk away and I went down the hall to meet up with a friend. After a few minutes, I had her walk back by Hunters classroom to check on him. She came back a minute later and told me he wasn’t there. I panicked for a minute until I saw one of the teachers who helped me with Hunter. She told me the counselor had to talk him for a walk just to calm him down. I met up with the counselor later that morning and she said it took him some time to calm down and then he was fine and doing well back in the classroom. What a rough day.. for both of us!
When I picked him up from school, he said he didn’t really like it and didn’t want to go back. I could already tell he was worn out.
Day two was much better and it helped because it was his birthday! When we walked into class, the teacher had a birthday crown, a pin, and a birthday sticker waiting on him.He also got a giant pixie stick. The kids thought he was cool because he brought cupcakes for the class. He was fine when I left and I think he was wanting to get through the day to start celebrating his birthday at home with us. The only issue today was at carpool pickup. For some reason, the couldn’t find him and I went into panic mode. After about 5 minutes they finally brought him to me. Ugh (he was in the right spot just miscommunication on their part).
By day three Hunter didn’t want to get up in the morning, he didn’t want to go to school, and he thought it was the meanest mommy ever. Sigh. However, today he decided he wanted to try to ride the bus home with a friend AND buy his lunch in the cafeteria.
Day four, still tired, still melt downs after school due to being so exhausted, but communicated more about day. I still think he is undecided about this whole school thing. I had to drop him off at carpool starting today and to my surprise he walked right in by himself without even looking back. Proud of him. He had a falling out with a friend he rides the bus home with so now he doesn’t know if he wants to keep riding it home from school. Hope he does because that carpool line is brutal
This has definitely been an interesting, exhausting week. Lots of new things, lots of firsts. When I get him after school I make him share 3 things he did that day. As the week went on he started to share more and more. Some good, some not so good.
Praying that we can get this week behind us and next week with be 100 times better.
No comments:
Post a Comment