Wednesday, September 12, 2007

First Day of "Mother's Day Out"






Last night I didn't sleep a wink. I was tossing and turning, worrying about Hunter's first day of school. What if he needed me? What if they didn't know what to do when he's tired or hungry? Will it matter that he's the youngest in his class? What will they do all day? So many questions.

I woke up this morning, made him breakfast, packed his bags, and we were off to school. I was so nervous it felt like my first day of school.

I took him inside the classroom and put him down on the floor where he started playing with some toys. Then I walked over to the teachers who told me where to put all of his belongings. I looked over and Hunter was still playing and taking it all in. I decided to go ahead and leave so I didn't upset him. I walked out the door but lingered around outside. Once they shut the door, I ran up to it and peeked inside. One of his teachers was holding him and he was playing. I made it to my car and then the tears started to flow. I felt so silly crying but he is my baby. I have never left him for this long (5 1/2 hours) and with people he didn't know.

I called the school a few minutes ago so they could check on him. The lady came back and said the teacher told her that Hunter was doing great. They just finished their snack and he was eating like a horse. That's our son! She said I could call anytime.. big mistake. Ha.

I know this experience will be great for Hunter and for me. My little boy is just growing up too fast. I wasn't prepared.

Okay.. I just picked him up from school. I peeked in his classroom and he was walking around. I opened the door, he spotted me, and he ran over and gave me a great big hug.. oh the greatest feeling! The teacher said he was great today. He was happy all morning until 11ish. She said he got tired! She said he had several helpings of their snack and he ate all of his lunch. She commented again on what a good eater he is. Ha. The teacher said the napped right after lunch and Hunter went down for almost two hours.

They colored, read stories, sang "wheels on the bus", and blew bubbles. What an exciting first day. I hope Hunter has another great week next week and hopefully I won't cry. :)

No comments: