Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Trip to the hospital


Monday I spent the day in Katy Hospital. My day started with a trip to my specialist for my weekly ultrasound. I saw the baby and everything was fine. I asked to speak to the doctor because I was already down 10 pounds and I couldn't keep anything down. I had already been sick 5 times that morning. The doctor didn't seem too worried and I forced them to check my keytone levels. I was having flashbacks from when I was pregnant with Hunter. I was hospitalized because of my dehydration. I felt the exact same way. I forced them to take a few tests and they told me it would take 3-5 days to get the results back. I left there feeling very ticked off didn't think they were taking this seriously.


When I got home, I called my regular ob/gyn and told them of my situation. They immediately sent me to Katy Hospital for tests. When I got there they admitted me for observation. They tried to take blood but they couldn't get anything out because I was so dehydrated. They immediately started my IV. After an hour, they were able to use a butterfly needle in my other arm. It took 20 minutes just to fill two viles of blood. An hour later my results came back and sure enough... severe dehydration. I was kept at the hospital until Monday night until I finished my fluids and I was able to keep down some jello and gatorade.


The doctor wanted me on a Zofran Pump. (Umm.. NO THANK YOU). It's a needle that you put into your leg and you are attached to a pump that constantly pumps medication into your system. I told her that I wanted to start with the pills before I went to that extreme.
It has been two days since my hospital visit and so far, so good. I am feeling better but on a scale of 1 - 10, I am a 4. I am so tired and so blah. I don't have any energy and still don't have an appetite. I am forcing myself to eat and drink as much as possible.


This experience has really opened my eyes. You have to listen to your body and do what you think you have to do. If I just sat back and did nothing, I would have probably passed out. I was that sick! Just goes to show you that you sometimes have to take matters into your own hands.


I only have two more weeks with this specialist and then I am turned back over to my regular doctor. Thank goodness!

No comments: