Saturday, March 06, 2010

Peyton Update

Peyton has had a really rough month. It started with what seemed like a 15 day virus. She wasn't eating, she had diarreah, and she had a rash all over her body. I took her to the doctor and they said it was probably a virus. I went back a few days later because her behavior was worse. She was tired and irritable. The doctor was worried about her weight because she didn't seem to be gaining. The doctor wanted to run a bunch of blood work (four viles worth) so we went to the lab. It was horrible seeing her poked. The lab tech struggled to find a vein and when he did, they kept collapsing. After two attempts, he couldn't get a vein. They made me leave and we had to go back in the morning. That just made me worry more!! We went back in the morning and they were able to fill 3 viles before her vein failed. That was enough. They called the next day and all the blood work came back normal. Great news but still they can't explain whats going on.

A few days later, I took the kids to SC to visit my parents. She did pretty good the first part of the trip and then she went downhill. She was congested, tired, and irritable. When we got back into town, I took her to the doctor. She had a sinus infection and ear infection. They put her on her first antibiotic. I stressed my concerns for Peyton to the doctor and he wanted me to bring him some samples (still waiting on results). Two days later I went back for her 1 year wellness appointment. Here are her stats:

Height - 30 in. (75-90%)
Weight - 20 lbs. 6.5 oz. (25-50%)
Head - 45 cm (50%)

The doctor commented that her weight hasn't changed since her 9 month checkup and he was concerned. He said she had to see a GI specialist. So I left there with a sick child, no answers, and worried out of my mind.

For the last week, Peyton has lived off of Cheerios and maybe a few ounces of milk a day. She was getting worse day by day. Yesterday Peyton woke up without a wet diaper (12 hours) and refused to eat or drink. All she wanted to do was lay on the floor. I called the doctor and they told me to take her to the ER. It sounded like she was dehydrated. We get to the ER and out of no where, Peyton decides to have a burst of energy. She is happy, walking around, and even drinks some milk and eat some crackers. Grrr. Everyone is looking at us like, "why are they even here??". When we see a doctor, they tell us she isn't dehydrated enough to get an IV. Then she told us that we needed a GI specialist. Well NO KIDDING! Just wish they did more while we were there.

This whole month has been exhausting. There is nothing worse than seeing your child sick. Praise the lord I was able to get her a GI appointment for Friday. I pray we finally get some answers that we need. I want my baby girl back.

1 comment:

The Thalblum Family said...

I'm so sorry you have to go through this. Why is it when ever you bring your kids to the doctors for something they always act normal and then the doctor thinks they are fine. I hope she feels better soon!